USS Constitution ''Helm'' Patch
- Measures approx. 2” in diameter,
- Iron-on instructions included.
Helm (Ship’s Wheel)
A new double wheel was manufactured for Constitution during her 1927 – 1931 restoration in the Charlestown Navy Yard. Hyde Windlass Company, in Bath, Maine, was sent a set of plans, titled “U.S. Frigate Constitution Steering Wheel”, drawn by naval draftsman Warren D. Liebman. He based the design of the new wheel upon the Philadelphia rebuild wheel that was aboard Constitution before the 1927 restoration. The specifications called for the wheels and the supporting yokes to be made of cherry, and the drum, which connects the two wheels, to be made of maple.